Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Where is everybody?

Where is everybody? Is everyone really so scared of the economy that they are staying home? Literally?!?! Seriously?!?!

For the most part I cannot put my finger on "it," but more and more frequently these days I find myself saying things like:
"Wow, I can't believe I found a parking spot right in front of that store!" (remember I live in the city)
"I can't believe how little traffic there is." (think city driving! ugh!)
"Where is everybody??"
"Did Tim LaHaye get raptured and leave me behind?"

At first I thought it is because I'm a mom, and I keep slightly different hours than the rest of the city so it's just a coincidence. Yes, I'd be happy if my favorite stores opened by 8 AM every day. [Let's hear it for the mommies!] :) Maybe I just happen to shop or be out when most other people aren't.

But..... Last Monday there were skads and skads of parking on a main avenue, in the middle of the day, when it is usually packed! I was a little spooked. Then I remembered that it was Monday, and several larger independent stores in the area are closed on Monday, so I felt a little better.

But not for long.

Tonight I did an unusual thing. I wanted to pick up something at the grocery store for tomorrow morning. So at 7:15 pm (that's the unusual part!) I piled the kids in the car and went to the grocery store, expecting to see all the work-a-day gals and guys loading up on last minute dinner groceries. As I pulled in to the parking lot I was pleased to see several parking spaces relatively close to the front door. Trying not to be greedy I skipped over the first one and took the second, still a bit of a walk but close enough for this city girl. :) We did our shopping, waiting only a few moments in line (score!), and as we walked out the door my jaw dropped. I guess I wasn't really paying attention the first time around. The parking lot was 80% empty. This is unreal! This is unheard of.

Since I'm sure it's not the rapture (wink) this just has to be.... bad economic times?!?!?

It's creepy, really. We live near a large university, and this is the kind of emptiness I would expect to see at the beginning of summer break. Or spring break. Or the week of Christmas, for goodness' sake.

Am I actually going to get a little love back from my overrun city thanks to the economy???

No comments: